Fresh from his success in SW19, Spaniard Carlos Alcaraz leads the field in Canada priced at around 2.50-2.50 with most bookmakers to take home the main prize. However the 2023 iteration of ‘The National Bank Open’ is likely to be plain sailing with a strong field featuring the likes of Murray, Tsitsipas and Medvedev to name just a few. So where are the best betting opportunities for the shrewd tennis punter?
A Brief History: ATP Toronto Betting Preview
This event is officially known as the Rogers Cup, and it is one of the prestigious tournaments on the ATP Tour. The history of this event dates back to the late 1800s, making it one of the oldest tennis tournaments in the world.
The Rogers Cup alternates between two cities, Toronto and Montreal, on an annual basis. It is part of the ATP World Tour Masters 1000 series, which consists of nine elite tournaments on the men’s professional tennis circuit. The event in Montreal is exclusively for the men’s tournament, while the Toronto edition includes both men’s and women’s tournaments.
Here’s a brief overview of the history of the ATP Toronto (Rogers Cup) tennis event:
- Founding: The inaugural edition of the tournament took place in 1881, and it was known as the Canadian Championships. Initially, it was an amateur event, and it remained that way until the 1960s.
- Transition to Professional Era: In the late 1960s, the tournament transitioned into the professional era of tennis, becoming part of the Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP) Tour.
- Name Changes: Throughout its history, the tournament has undergone several name changes due to sponsorship deals. One of the most notable sponsors was Du Maurier, leading to the tournament being known as the Du Maurier Open for many years.
- Switch Between Toronto and Montreal: In 1981, the Canadian Open (as it was called then) started alternating between Toronto and Montreal on a yearly basis, effectively splitting the men’s and women’s events. The women’s tournament was designated as a WTA Premier 5 event, which is one level below the WTA Premier Mandatory events.
- Emergence as a Premier Event: Over the years, the Rogers Cup has become one of the most prestigious events on the tennis calendar, attracting top players from around the world. Its status as a Masters 1000 event on the ATP Tour ensures that it offers a significant number of ranking points to the players.
- Venue Changes: Throughout its history, the tournament has been held at various venues in Toronto, with the Aviva Centre (previously known as the Rexall Centre) at York University being the main venue for the men’s tournament.
The tournament’s long history, along with its status as a premier ATP World Tour Masters 1000 event, has cemented its position as one of the key stops on the tennis calendar for both players and fans alike. Learn how to profit from major events like ATP Toronto.
Main Contenders: Where is the smart money?
Unsurprisingly Carlos Alcaraz has attracted the majority of backing following his affirmed status as world number one and victory over Novak Djokovic in London – however at a price of just 6/4 (2.50) on average there is little value. So let’s divert our focus towards underdogs available at much higher prices.
Our analysts like the look of Holger Rune at such a generous price. His game has steadily progressed over recent years and he’s proven capable of competing at the highest level. The court speed and conditions in Toronto should suit his game.
🎾 Tennis Tips UK Membership: Why Join?
Over the years our team have analysed countless tennis tipster services - we offer all those that impress against our strict criteria a place in our program. Essentially we act as a middle man. Members subscribe to receive their email tips and we share the subscription revenue with those tipsters that deliver the highest profit each month for subscribers. That way members get to benefit from multiple vetted tipsters with a single subscription plan. This service is called the ‘VIP Club’ and costs $99.99 per month.
- Receive email tips stating the advised match, specific bet and stake size
- Benefit from the insight of the best tipsters we’ve sourced since 2013
- Cancel anytime - there are no contracts or commitments.
- Average of 2-3 bets per week sent direct to your inbox
- Member staking $10 per unit would have profited $7540
Alternative: Free Membership Plan
We are constantly trying to gather feedback of tipster services across the web. If you are willing to sign up for one of these and provide some basic feedback about what you liked and/or disliked then we’ll give you VIP Club membership for free instead of the usual $99.99 charge.
How to Redeem: Valid December 2023
2.) Send us a message confirming the email address you signed up with. By using the link above we can track your registration and ensure all feedback gathered is from genuine customers of the service.
3.) You’ll be added to the VIP Club mailing list. Please forward any feedback you have by replying to email messages containing the tips. Please check your junk folder. You are free to cancel at any time.